Problem installing KDE/Amarok

Hal Vaughan hal at halblog.com
Wed Jun 24 11:05:26 PDT 2009

I just installed MacPorts yesterday.  I'm trying to install Amarok and
yesterday I typed "sudo port install amarok" yesterday.  It took qt
hours to build.  Last night, when I got home about 9 pm, the terminal
was not responding and clicking it gave me the spinning pinwheel.  I
can't scroll or anything.  Ports has a message displayed: Installing
kdebase4-runtime @4.2.4_0."  It's been at that stage since 9 pm last
night (it's now about 2 pm the next day).  The terminal is locked up
and I don't know if it's still building KDE and installing or if it's
locked up.

I've asked for help on #kde-mac, but with 20 people in that group,
nobody seems active.

I don't know if I should kill the terminal and therefore the ports
process or if it just takes that long.  My guess is that KDE is big
and it takes a lot of time and may take notable CPU resources, thus
locking up the terminal for a while.  If that's so, I can deal with
it, but for now, I can't run another instance of Terminal unless I
reboot, and I don't know if restarting the port command will just put
me in the same fix before.

I'm on an iMac with OS X 10.5.7, a 2.4 Ghz Intel 2 core CPU with 4 GB
of 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM.  Not the latest, but no slouch either.  Does it
take over 17 hours to install KDE with such a system?

Also I know that there are messages of commands I have to run on the
terminal, but I only see a few, so I don't know if rebooting will mean
I can't access any that have scrolled off the top yet.

Thanks for any guidance or help on this.

Hal