php.ini removed

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Sun Jun 28 08:39:49 PDT 2009

On Jun 27, 2009, at 3:51 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2009, at 12:16, Chris Janton wrote:
>
>> hmmm - my brain has been hurting for quite some time.
>>
>> On my G4 Panther system I upgraded php5 to 5.2.10
>>
>> I ran a test that demonstrated that I could see a problem with date/
>> time, so go back to the older version
>>
>> sudo port deactivate php5 @5.2.10_0+apache+darwin_7+macosx
>> +mysql5+pear
>> sudo port activate php5 @5.2.6_2+apache+darwin_7+macosx+mysql5+pear
>>
>> Things seemed OK from the command line.
>>
>> I was notified on Friday evening that all of my Wordpress blogs
>> were failing.
>> Chased my tail - mysql5 is fine, php seems to work fine, just no
>> PHP - MySQL connections working
>>
>> short answer
>>
>> in /opt/local/etc/php.ini I had specified a different socket for
>> the MySQL connection
>> /opt/local/etc/php.ini was gone
>>
>> The only things I can pin it on are one of the port upgrade/port
>> deactivate/port activate commands.
>>
>> It's fixed now, just wondering who the culprit is.
>>
>> My brain *really* hurts...
>
> Sorry about the problem, but I'm not sure how it happened. As far as
> I can tell, php5 does not touch your php.ini, and never has. It only
> installs sample files named php.ini-dist and php.ini-recommended and
> prints a message advising you to copy one of these to the proper
> location.

I think the location of php.ini may have been moved to etc/php5 with
php5 @5.2.10. I was paying that much attention when I upgraded.

Ryan, I see you are one of the maintainers of php5.

Would you consider adding:
variant ming description {Add library to create SWF ("Flash") format
movies} {
     depends_lib-append \
         port:ming
     configure.args-append \