php.ini removed

Chris Janton face at CentosPrime.COM
Sun Jun 28 11:09:53 PDT 2009

On 2009-06-28 , at 10:05 , Scott Haneda wrote:

> Why did moving it break things is I think what first needs to be
> learned.

Because it didn't "move back" when I switched back to an older version
of php5

> Why was ini put in a php5 directory? As far as I know php wants to
> look in some standard locations. /etc is one if them so that would
> translate to /opt/local/etc/php.ini.

That would be as standard location - especially if there is an
expectation that a php6 (or php7) might also be made available on the
system.

> Of cource there are a few other locations but I believe etc is
> pretty normal. I think it should have just kep working. Any idea why
> it did not work for you? What did you have to change to get it to
> work?

I don't use the "standard" socket location for MySQL5 as provided in
MacPorts - I set the socket values for PHP to use in the .ini file
like this...

; Default socket name for local MySQL connects.  If empty, uses the
built-in
mysql.default_socket = /tmp/mysql.sock
; Default socket name for local MySQL connects.  If empty, uses the
built-in
mysqli.default_socket = /tmp/mysql.sock

> You can also run 'port contents portname' to see where all the files
> registered to that port are.

The "answer" to the change is here

  http://trac.macports.org/changeset/50173/trunk/dports/lang/php5/Portfile

When I did the port upgrade php5 I didn't "see" the message that was
output

  ui_msg "Your ${prefix}/etc/php.ini has been moved to ${phpinidir}/
php.ini"

I guess for me that something like this

  COPY ${prefix}/etc/php.ini ${phpinidir}

as opposed to

  move ${prefix}/etc/php.ini ${phpinidir}

would have made it transparent (assuming that there is a copy function
like move in the port language)

It's my bad, since I didn't read the message when I did the upgrade.

8)