apache2 location

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Mar 1 01:56:55 PST 2009

On Mar 1, 2009, at 03:18, Joshua Root wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> MacPorts itself even installs outside of
>> ${prefix} by default, into /Library/Tcl.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a good reason for that, though. I'd like to
> change it.

IIRC, the good reason that was cited in the past was that if someone
wrote another MacPorts client in Tcl that wanted to load the MacPorts
Tcl library, it could only do so if it were in a known location. Or
maybe Tcl will only look in /Library/Tcl for libraries. Or something
like that.

I'm not familiar enough with Tcl to be able to speak to that, but it
seems like if MacPorts itself can be told to look for its Tcl library
elsewhere, e.g. in ${prefix}/Library/Tcl, then any other MacPorts
client can be told that too. Such a client could default to /opt/
local for ${prefix} which should handle most users, and offer a way
to configure it if the user has installed MacPorts to a different
prefix.

In fact I can't imagine there being another Tcl-based MacPorts
client. The "port" command handles most of what a user would need in
a command line client, and if someone were making a GUI for MacPorts,
I doubt they would do so in Tcl.