Perl error, once and for all

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Mar 1 02:23:15 PST 2009

On Mar 1, 2009, at 1:43 AM, Joshua Root wrote:
> Scott Haneda wrote:
>> I have seen many posts, where a
>> port is not installing.  The reply from other users has been "you
>> need
>> to -f it, some ports are just that way", and that is not the right
>> info,
>> it will spiral out of control, to the point where as illustrated
>> above,
>> they blindly -f things.  -f is for when you know what you are
>> doing, it
>> should not be propagating as a solution.
>
> You should've seen the situation pre-1.7. You had to use -f half the
> time to uninstall old inactive versions of ports. And yes, some users
> ended up blindly using -f for everything, sometimes with undesired
> consequences.
>
> We are getting better, slowly but surely. :-)

Indeed, and this dialogue is always good.

> What the perl situation needs is someone who understands the issue to
> just get in and get the job done. The ticket has well and truly hit
> maintainer timeout by now.

Thanks Josh, this is the first I have sort of gotten the impression
the issue is even know how to be solved. I assume the ticket was so
old was that no one could come to a consensus as to the best way to
solve it, making it more political.

As I offered before, if someone knows someone who is capable, but just
needs a little motivation, let me know, I am sure that motivation can
be drummed up, at least, I will do my part to help.
--
Scott

* If you contact me off list replace talklists@ with scott@ *