Perl error, once and for all

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Sun Mar 1 17:11:13 PST 2009

On 2009-03-02 01:18:41 +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> Yes, but MacPorts should not override the user's settings (i.e. it
> should test whether PERL5LIB is already set...). One should end up
> with something like:
>
> if [ -n "$PERL5LIB" ]; then
>   PERL5LIB="${PERL5LIB}:/opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl"
> else
>   export PERL5LIB
>   PERL5LIB="/opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl"
> fi

BTW, the order can also be changed at build time. I don't know how
to do this, but I haven't searched closely...

Also, a 7-year-old thread on @INC search order was resurrected
a couple of weeks ago:

  http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2009/02/msg144185.html

> Also, the modules that overwrite the core modules should be fixed.
>
> But there's still the potential problem with binaries and man pages,
> though. But a directory /opt/local/perl5 can be used for that. Adding
> /opt/local/perl5/bin to $PATH just before /opt/local/bin would be
> sufficient.

Concerning the man pages, I'm not so sure. As I've said in another
mail, the suffix (a.k.a. man section) is different, meaning that
there would be no conflicts, but this may depend on the modules.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>