OT: clock drift (was: Re: logging postfix and others)

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Mon Mar 2 13:56:35 PST 2009

On Mar 2, 2009, at 3:21 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Mar 1, 2009, at 03:37, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> First thing I do in setting up a new server is comment out the log
>> rollers, second is set up a ntpudpate command in launchd to keep
>> the clock from drifting.
>
> I realize this is off-topic now, but you've made me curious. Can the
> clock drift if you do not do this? I thought Apple's "set date and
> time automatically" option was supposed to ensure clocks were
> synchronized. Though I admit I don't know what it does specifically.

I see the clock drift massively on my servers, it seems to be the
worst when you are using a server that does not login to an account,
then apples "set data and time automatically" does not seem to work
well.

This drift is a killer when you are trying to figure something out in
logs that spam multiple machines.

I will add this launchd item:
( Sleep 45 seconds to wait for the network to come up, adjust
accordingly, ugly hack, but works )

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd
">