Updating MySQL

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 2 23:52:29 PST 2009

On Mar 3, 2009, at 01:38, Marion Dumas wrote:

> No the server is not running and the socket does not exist because
> the server is not running. The problem is that I don't have the
> right permissions to do anything with the port mysql4. Indeed, I
> also tried to deactivate it and get the following:
> --->  Deactivating mysql4
> Error: port deactivate failed: error deleting "/opt/local/var/run/
> mysqld/.turd_mysql4": permission denied
> So, how do I set the permissions to act on the mysql4 server?

MacPorts installs things as root, so to change anything about your
installation, including installing new ports or uninstalling old
ones, you need to preface your "port" command with "sudo" (which
stands for "SuperUser DO"):

sudo port uninstall mysql4

When prompted, type the password for your Mac OS X account (which
must be an admin account).

P.S: Use Reply All so your reply goes to the list too, not just to me.