adduser, addgroup

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Mar 4 14:33:32 PST 2009

Scott Haneda wrote:
> On Mar 4, 2009, at 2:01 PM, Joshua Root wrote:
>>> As far as I am finding, on error, the user and group are still
>>> there, I
>>> will also check of on uninstall, the user and group get removed.
>> They don't.
>
> Was this a design decision, or something overlooked?  Should it be
> considered a bug, or intended behavior?

MacPorts does not track created users currently. Multiple installed
ports could create the same user, so it would have to create a map of
created users and only remove them if all ports are uninstalled.

Users are usually already created during destroot, as the user is
necessary to assign the correct permissions to files. At this point we
do not even know if the user is going to install the port.

Rainer