Perl error, once and for all

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Fri Mar 6 14:15:24 PST 2009

On 2009-03-03 11:49:12 -0800, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
> Maybe we could add a port "macports-profile" that would be a script
> similar to:
> /opt/local/share/macports/setupenv.bash

Yes, this is a rather standard way of doing such things.

> I suppose the file /opt/local/etc/maports_profile.conf could be looked
> for and if found could be parsed for overrides and additions.

I would call it "/opt/local/etc/profile".

> I have a macports on my laptop that I'm keeping clean just to help
> resolve this perl5 issue. I hope we can come up with a work solution
> soon. Even if it's just the decision to instruct users to add PERL5LIB
> to their .profile by hand.
>
> Oh, and what about other shells? Let that small base work it out
> themselves as they are probably used to doing?

Isn't the .profile sourced at login time, so that all shells inherit
its environment?

Otherwise the user should probably source his .profile from the right
init file of his shell (e.g. .zprofile in case of zsh), unless he has
specific configuration.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>