port outdated command works propely after Porticus being installed.

Kuniaki Mukai mukai at sfc.keio.ac.jp
Wed Mar 11 02:30:50 PDT 2009

On Mar 11, 2009, at 4:12 PM, Joshua Root wrote:

> Kuniaki Mukai wrote:
>> On Mar 11, 2009, at 2:45 PM, William Davis wrote:
>>
>>> You need to do "sudo port -d selfupdate" before
>>> port outdated not after.
>>
>> Thank you for help.  I will do so henceforth.
>>
>> I thought,  without reading manual in details, 'selfupdate' means
>> updating both MacPorts base and port index, and
>> 'sync' updating only port index.
>
> That's correct, but in the log you posted, you ran `port outdated`
> before you ran sync or selfupdate, but not between sync and running
> Porticus.

Thank you for clarifying.  Yes, I agree on that
the log is not to the point.

However I have found there is still something wrong
with MacPorts on my mac. Here is a new log
of 'port outdated'.

% sudo port sync
Password:
% sudo port selfupdate

MacPorts base version 1.700 installed
Downloaded MacPorts base version 1.700

The MacPorts installation is not outdated so it was not updated

( Porticus menu item 'Self Update' being done)

% port outdated
The following installed ports are outdated:
bash                           4.0.0_0 < 4.0.10_0
mpfr                           2.4.1-p2_0 < 2.4.1-p4_0

The new log keeps  me confused. Why does 'port outdated' command work correct
only after selfupdating by Porticus ,  even after 'sudo port sync' or 'sudo port selfupdate.'

Kuniaki Mukai