Cannot upgrade perl5.8 - registry error

Bob Nielsen bobnielsen at clearwire.net
Wed Mar 11 20:39:54 PDT 2009

On Mar 11, 2009, at 5:53 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Bob Nielsen wrote:
>
>> When I try to upgrade perl5.8 to version 5.8.9_2, I get the
>> following error:
>>
>> Error: Checking installed version failed: Registry error: perl5.8
>> @5.8.8_0+darwin_8 not registered as installed.
>>
>> perl -v says I have version 5.8.6.  Using port -f doesn't help.  A
>> lot of other actions seem to be affected by this.  How can I get
>> around this error?
>

> Maybe your perl -v is telling you the Mac OS X version? Try /opt/
> local/bin/perl -v instead.  You can also issue `port installed |
> grep perl` and see what version Mac Ports has installed.  I would
> not at all be surprised if you had 5.8.9_2 already, as I do, and
> made no real efforts to instal it.
>
> If you still do need to get it working, you could remove it, and
> then install it again, maybe also first try to activate it, if it
> is not listed as active in the installed list.
>
> Show the output to the command above, and probably someone can
> point you what to do next.

mac:~ bob$ /opt/local/bin/perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.6 built for darwin-thread-multi-2level

and:

mac:~ bob$ port installed |grep perl
Error: port installed failed: Registry error: perl5.8 @5.8.8_0
+darwin_8 not registered as installed.

When I try to remove perl altogether I get the same error message.  I
need to get past the registry error before I can anything.