general advice about making a portfile and a binary package?

Allen McBride allencmcbride at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 20:26:28 PDT 2009

Hello all,

Even though I'm not a developer, I've been looking for ways to help
make it easier for Mac users to install GNU Solfege.  If one has the
dependencies (I have them thanks to all the MacPorts stuff I've
installed, I think), Solfege will compile with ./configure, make, sudo
make install.  So I thought I might try to make a Portfile for it,
even though I've never done anything like that before.  But I followed
the instructions, and it worked.  MacPorts installed a working
executable in /opt/local/bin.

Then I got greedy.  I saw in the MacPorts documentation that MacPorts
can make .dmg files.  So even though I've never done anything like
that before either, I tried it.  I just typed "sudo port -f
destroot" (got that from some Googling) and then "sudo port dmg" from
the same directory as my Portfile.  Given how far over my head I was
at this point, I really didn't expect it to work, but it did.  I got
a .dmg and a .pkg, which I installed, and the new executable it put
into /opt/local/bin works.

My question is, is there any chance the .dmg file I created will work
for other people?  Could I distribute it to brave testers, with
warning that it was created by someone who doesn't know what they're
doing?  Or would that be guaranteed to fail?  (After I did all this I
looked at the archives a bit, and found a message warning that one
needs to make the thing install somewhere other than /opt/local/bin.
Is that just a matter of putting "destroot /usr/local/bin" in the
Portfile?  And speaking of the archives, is there a way to search them
without going through one month at a time?)

Any advice would be great, whether it's about MacPorts, or about my
overall approach, or about things I ought to understand before
attempting things like this.

Thanks,
Allen McBride