general advice about making a portfile and a binary package?

Allen McBride allencmcbride at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 10:59:16 PDT 2009

On Mar 14, 2009, at 12:38 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> It is recommended to run trace mode to find all dependencies.
>  sudo port -t destroot
> It will report access to files which do not belong to any port in the
> dependency chain. Note that a build using trace mode may fail due to
> the
> inaccessibility of files.

Thanks for all the answers.  I ran "sudo port -t destroot", and it
seems to have revealed some problems, but I don't know how to
interpret the output.  Here's the relevant-seeming part of what I got:

trace: access denied to /opt/local/bin/python (*unknown*)
trace: access denied to /opt/local/bin/python (*unknown*)
trace: access denied to /opt/local/bin/rsvg (librsvg)
trace: access denied to /opt/local/bin/gs (ghostscript)
trace: access denied to /opt/local/bin/pkg-config (pkgconfig)
Warning: An activity was attempted outside sandbox: /var/
root/.CFUserTextEncoding
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
_Users_allencmcbride_Allen_computer_portfiletest/work/solfege-3.14.0"
&& ./configure --prefix=/opt/local " returned error 1

Is it trying to tell me that I should add librsvg and ghostscript
(which depends on pkgconfig) to my list of dependencies?  That would
seem odd, since they're not listed by the author as dependencies.
Maybe they're optional, and I can still leave them out?  And the
python part is a mystery to me, because I did declare python25 as a
dependency.  As for the "outside sandbox" thing, I found a post where
you said you get that all the time, so I'm guessing it's not a big deal.

Everything still works fine if I don't use trace mode.

Sorry to keep asking questions, but I can't find any info about trace
mode in the MacPorts Guide.

Thanks,
Allen