Gimp2->libgnomecanvase->gail Problem

Tom Condon t_condonia at comcast.net
Sun Mar 15 09:31:03 PDT 2009

Folks,

Running MacPorts on a Powerbook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/4GB SDRAM with
OS X 10.5.6.  I felt it was time to check for upgrades and kicked off
the update process.  Before long I noticed that there was a problem
building "gail".  With a little tracing I found that this appears to be
looking for libgail-gnome (version 1.20.1 seems to be the current one),
but there is a dependency that calls for "gail" which does not exist in
macports.  I did a self-update, but everything seems to be good there.

When I try to build gimp2 this is the response:

sudo port install gimp2
Password:
--->  Configuring libgnomecanvas
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure: shell
command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gnome_libgnomecanvas/work/libgnomecanvas-2.20.1.1"
&& ./configure --prefix=/opt/local " returned error 1
Command output: checking locale.h usability... yes
checking locale.h presence... yes
checking for locale.h... yes
checking for LC_MESSAGES... yes
checking libintl.h usability... yes
checking libintl.h presence... yes
checking for libintl.h... yes
checking for ngettext in libc... no
checking for bindtextdomain in -lintl... yes
checking for ngettext in -lintl... yes
checking for dgettext in -lintl... yes
checking for bind_textdomain_codeset... yes
checking for msgfmt... /opt/local/bin/msgfmt
checking for dcgettext... yes
checking if msgfmt accepts -c... yes
checking for gmsgfmt... /opt/local/bin/msgfmt
checking for xgettext... /opt/local/bin/xgettext
checking for pkg-config... /opt/local/bin/pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.18... yes
checking for LIBGNOMECANVAS... configure: error: Package requirements (
  gtk+-2.0 >= 2.0.3   gail >= 1.9.0   libart-2.0 >= 2.3.8   pango >=
1.0.1   pangoft2 >= 1.0.1) were not met:

No package 'gail' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LIBGNOMECANVAS_CFLAGS
and LIBGNOMECANVAS_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

Error: The following dependencies failed to build: libgnomeui
libbonoboui libgnomecanvas

Is there a problem with the dependencies here or am I missing something?

In A Chord,

Tom Condon
Bass, Agate Passage Quartet
Treasurer, Bass & Proud Member, Kitsap Chordsmen

It's so hard when I have to, And so easy when I want to.
	- Sondra Anice Barnes