Mac (OSX) Error: Unresolved inheritance operation

Keith Kaiser wa0tjt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 10:48:35 PDT 2009

Mac users,

Recently I decided to move from OpenMotif to lesstif in hopes of
fixing the menu issues in Xastir.

The first thing I did was selfupdate MacPorts, then I upgraded all
installed ports, after which I used MacPorts to install lesstif
(lesstif @0.95.0_3 (active)).

After all this prep work I went back to the source files for Xastir
(v1.9.5) and re-installed it. I used;

'./configure'

and followed it with;

'make && sudo make install && sudo chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/xastir'

No errors were kicked up until I tried to run Xastir, that is when I
got the following error:

'Error: Unresolved inheritance operation'

I tried Xastir again turning on all logging (xastir -v 2047 &), below
is the bottom of the log up to this error.
Code #1126 <XADBMST003> data <MySQL (spatial)> hotkey <>
Code #1127 <XASCHEMA01> data <Xastir Simple Schema> hotkey <>
Code #1128 <XASCHEMA02> data <Xastir CAD Schema> hotkey <>
Code #1129 <XASCHEMA03> data <Xastir full Schema> hotkey <>
Code #1130 <XASCHEMA04> data <APRSWorld Schema> hotkey <>
LANG 1131
Error: Unresolved inheritance operation

The cursor is not returned until I do a control C at which time I get;

[1]+  Exit 1                  xastir -v 2047

My understanding is that an "unresolved inheritance operation" is due
to a version mismatch of some kind, some component of Xastir is
expecting some version of something else (maybe xfig) but it can't
find it. What I need is someone much closer to the Unix roots of Mac
to help me figure out where to start looking for the problem.

I'm sorry this is such a long post but I wanted to give as much useful
information as possible to the Mac community out there in hopes of
getting Xastir up and running again.

Thanks in advance for any and all who can shed some light on this.