Updated quartz-wm for Tiger

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 16 17:39:19 PDT 2009

On Mar 16, 2009, at 18:53, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2009, at 16:20, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Mar 14, 2009, at 04:02, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>>
>>> I've built an updated quartz-wm for Tiger (don't try using this
>>> on Leopard) for use with the new xorg-server in MacPorts.  This
>>> quartz-wm will fix the "100% CPU issue when pasteboard proxying
>>> is enabled" issue and fixes the dock interaction bug that was
>>> present in the 1.0.0 version that I built a few weeks ago.  This
>>> also brings Tiger users all the fixes that have gone into quartz-
>>> wm on Leopard (gravity hints, fullscreen hints, etc).
>>>
>>> http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/quartz-wm-1.0.1-
>>> Tiger.bz2
>>>
>>> download it, decompress it, and place it at /opt/local/bin/quartz-
>>> wm (or change /opt/local/bin to be your prefix).
>>>
>>> You will also need to 'sudo port -v upgrade xinit' to get xinitrc
>>> to use this quartz-wm instead of the system one.
>>
>> You are recommending people download and install something into
>> the MacPorts prefix, without using MacPorts?
>>
>> Why can this not be installed with a MacPorts port?
>
> Well, quartz-wm isn't open source, so I thought I can't make a port
> for it.  If that's not the case, I'll gladly make a port for this,
> since it'll make things work nicer.

I have a few non-open-source ports in MacPorts already: oracle-
instantclient, isightcapture. As long as it's free software I don't
see a problem with making ports of non-open-source software
especially if it's a dependency of another port we want to have (e.g.
oracle-instantclient is there so that there can be a +oracle variant
of the php5 port).