qt4-mac and OpenGL

Alexy Khrabrov deliverable at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 14:11:30 PDT 2009

I've got a package for graph layout visualization, called Pigale,
which uses qt4 and GL via GLUT.  It turns out the latter wants X11,
while I was able to get a qt4-mac port to build nicely.  Pigale builds
fine under qt4-x11.  Now I started poking around to see how those
things are configured, and my hunch is that I can use PKG_CONFIG_PATH
to have only one of

/opt/local/libexec/qt4-mac/lib/pkgconfig
/opt/local/libexec/qt4-x11/lib/pkgconfig

-- and everything will be done for the right Qt flavor, right?  Pigale
uses --with-qt-includes=... switch to its configure, and giving it
either the Aqua's or X11's .../include/ worked to build the right
widgets.  Apparently one can do things by QT4DIR, too -- so that would
be the right libexec subdir then?

What I am wondering about is the GL compatibility.  Pigale uses
libfreeglut to label the graph, and that wanted X11.  However, under /
opt/local/Frameworks/, it turns out, qt4-mac deposits a bunch of its
frameworks, including a QtOpenGL.  Does anyone know how those
correspond to OpenGL, and why are the frameworks there only for qt4-
mac and not qt4-x11?  Is it just a packaging choice to keep qt4-x11
linuxy-like and thus framework-less?

Cheers,
Alexy