Re-do MacPorts after upgrading from Tiger to Leopard on PPC?

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Tue Mar 17 20:29:57 PDT 2009

> I just upgraded the OS from Tiger to Leopard on PPC. Do I need to
> re- install any or all of my MacPorts stuff?
> Jerry

OP here. I don't know why I didn't get all the other posts in this
thread--I just got the last two today and that's all.

Thanks for all the answers. Even before I saw them today, I solved all
my MacPorts problems by uninstall everything. I'm not being ungrateful
because believe me, I'm just the opposite. However, I would like to
offer a bit of feedback. My experience with MacPorts has been pretty
bad. If I had really _needed_ any of the software that I tried to
install, as opposed to just evaluating it, I would have been pretty
hosed, I'm afraid. I mostly appreciate the ambitious goal of MacPorts
and I might try again later, but not soon. As I recall, I was mainly
interested in wxMaxima (a symbolic math program), gcc with Ada (GNAT),
and LyX (a technical word processor). I never succeeded in installing
any of these from MacPorts. The level of support I got was mostly very
good but still variable, and with way too much mucking around for
someone who doesn't see these things as essential. I once again tried
Fink with slightly better results--a working wxMaxima and a LyX that
sort of worked but lacked basic functionality such as printing and
exporting. So between the MacPorts and Fink, I recovered my 9 GB of
disk space and called it good for now. I can (and have) downloaded a
binary of Sage which gives me browser interface to Maxima and if I'm
still interested when I next get a chance, I'll download the binary of
LyX. If I were on an Intel machine, the new $250 full version of
Mathematica would solve all my problems in these areas (but not GNAT,
to which problem I found another solution).

So thanks once again. I'll revert to lurk mode for a while.

Jerry