LibGnomeCanvas Dependency Problem

Tom Condon t_condonia at comcast.net
Thu Mar 19 00:55:21 PDT 2009

Folks,

I have run into a problem with the libgnomecanvas port dependencies.
When I try to build it it says that libgnomecanvas is dependent on
"gail" (error message below).

===================
Package requirements (  gtk+-2.0 >= 2.0.3   gail >= 1.9.0   libart-2.0
 >= 2.3.8   pango >= 1.0.1   pangoft2 >= 1.0.1) were not met:

No package 'gail' found
===================

However, when I try:

port info libgnomecanvas

it says:

===================
Mac-The-Knife:~ Captain$ port info libgnomecanvas
libgnomecanvas @2.20.1.1, Revision 2 (gnome)
Variants:    universal

The GNOMECanvas library provides a number of features: Image loading
facilities.
Rendering of a GdkPixBuf into various formats: drawables (windows, pixmaps),
GdkRGB buffers. A cache interface.
Homepage:    http://www.gnome.org/

Build Dependencies:   pkgconfig, perl5, p5-xml-parser, intltool
Library Dependencies: glib2, gtk2, pango, gettext, libiconv, libart_lgpl,
                       libglade2
Platforms:            darwin
Maintainers:          nomaintainer at macports.org
===================

With, as you see, no mention of "gail".

When I try:

port search gail

I get:

===================
libgail-gnome @1.20.1 (gnome)
     An implementation of the ATK interfaces for GNOME widgets.
===================

But an attempt to build libgail-gnome also finds a dependency on package
"gail".

It also returns the following error, which makes no sense to me due to a
mismatch of quotes in the shell command:

===================
--->  Configuring at-spi
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure: shell
command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gnome_at-spi/work/at-spi-1.24.1"
&& ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --enable-static
--enable-platform-gnome-2 --disable-xevie --with-x " returned error 1

Can someone please explain to me why some ports, including the only port
that matches a search for "gail", are dependent on gail, and no gail
exists?  Is this a gnome "thing" that there is a clever way around?

In A Chord,

Tom Condon
Bass, Agate Passage Quartet
Treasurer, Bass & Proud Member, Kitsap Chordsmen

It's so hard when I have to, And so easy when I want to.
	- Sondra Anice Barnes