Incorrect libjpeg.dylib after installing ImageMagick

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Mar 20 17:00:35 PDT 2009

On Mar 20, 2009, at 13:20, Yolande Serra wrote:

> Not sure this will help, but if you defined a DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH in
> your .bashrc or .profile get rid of it.
>
> The libraries that macs point to are found assuming this variable
> is not defined.  Somewhere buried in the system it has a path to
> its own libs.  You mess this up when you define dynamic library paths.

I agree with Yolande: it sounds like you have DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH set,
and you should not.

> On Mar 20, 2009, at 11:09 AM, esiegel at berkeley.edu wrote:
>
>> I have been trying to solve this problems for several hours now
>> with many
>> failed attempts.  I found some answers from before, but they don't
>> seem to
>> work with me.
>>
>> Basically, after installing ImageMagick with macports, libjpeg was
>> installed to /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.dylib, but now several
>> executables
>> (unrelated to Imagemagick) now point to this library instead of
>> the OS X
>> default.
>>
>> For example mate, php, and others all report this error message:
>>
>> dyld: Symbol not found: __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart
>>  Referenced from:
>> /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/
>> A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/ImageIO
>>  Expected in: /opt/local/lib/libJPEG.dylib

Curious capitalization: The MacPorts jpeg port provides
libjpeg.dylib, not libJPEG.dylib.

>> From a previous post, it was suggested that I copy the library from
>> ImageIO folder into the opt/local folder, but this caused library
>> incompatibility problems.

Yes, please do not copy libraries into /opt/local manually.

>> I have tried uninstalling ImageMagick, but it didn't help.

I wouldn't expect that to help, since ImageMagick has nothing to do
with libjpeg.dylib, other than using it. The port that actually
provides libjpeg.dylib is jpeg, so you could uninstall the jpeg port.
Of course then you can't use any ports like ImageMagick that require
libjpeg.dylib.