port install efficiency issue

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Mar 22 16:01:09 PDT 2009

Can we talk more about this?  I have the ability to host such a build
farm.  Now, I could not host one machine, of every architecture, of
every OS, I just do not have the room in colocation.

I do have quite a bit of room if we go 1U though.  So 2 1U machines, a
PPC and a Intel, and I would imagine, that PPC machine could go away a
lot sooner than we all think.  Mac Mini's could take it further, since
they are so small, 8 of them can fit on a shelf and occupy no more
than a few U's of space.  The damn power bricks are more an issue than
anything else.  There have to be PPC Mini's out there to be had.

As long as the various OS versions could be virtualized, so we could
have 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 and forward virtualized on each machine,
it would not at all be hard to come up with a authentication routine
to allow builds to happen on whatever virtual interface you want.

I have the Ip space to spare, so each virtual machine could have it's
own connection space, or we could do some simple dhcp pooling.  Static
IP's are something I was alloted a /24 of, and do not see giving up 20
or so of them being an issue.

Am I looking at this wrong, or would this be helpful?  Is this too
much reliance on an outside party for core ports features?  I have had
access to this data center for 9+ years or so, I do not plan on giving
up that access at any time soon.  The bandwidth requirements are
minimal, it would go unnoticed.