stable vs. unstable ports?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 23 00:38:12 PDT 2009

On Mar 23, 2009, at 01:06, Darren Weber wrote:

> I like the idea of an opt-in Xgrid system, whereby users could opt-
> in to install an Xgrid client that provides a macports build
> system, binary distributions, and meta-ports monitor.  Of course,
> some folks might interpret it as too much big-brother, but really
> it's just so common now to have integrated network clusters with
> two-way traffic.  The opt-in and security settings on the facility
> may need integrity checking (code review - so specific commit
> rights and few maintainers with security access) and community
> monitoring to ensure security.  Just about every major desktop
> system around has some kind of automated process monitoring and opt-
> in bug reporting (windows, mac OSX, gnome, etc.).  I guess that
> Xgrid provides a nice platform for a distributed build system.
>
> I have no idea where to start with macports base.  If I had time to
> learn it, I would try.  Even so, I would hate to screw around with
> it without knowing what I'm doing.  Is there any documentation on
> how to get started with hacking macports base - any kind of sandbox
> to play around with?
>
> Anyone know how to work with Xgrid?  It's something on my todo
> list, but I've not read anything about it yet.

Before we can allow arbitrary users to submit their builds to a
central server, we would need to ensure that a build that occurs on
one user's system is *identical* to the build on any other user's
computer. This cannot currently be assured because MacPorts does not
build in a chroot, and without this, it is possible for a port to
link with libraries that happen to be on the user's system that it
ought not link with -- be they libraries from other ports on which
the port in question does not declare a dependency, or libraries in /
usr/local, to which the compiler always looks.

Therefore, a build farm that we control is a better option. Which, as
explained in other threads, cannot happen until the software to do
the automated builds in the clean environment is written.