Python, Tcl, Tix ...

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 24 01:38:07 PDT 2009

On Mar 23, 2009, at 05:48, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> I am hoping the maintainer of the tcl and tk ports can explain the
>> odd behavior I am seeing.
>
> Checking the Makefile after configure, there are problems with include
> paths in TCL_SRC_DIR, TK_SRC_DIR and INCLUDES (which uses TCL_INCLUDES
> and TK_INCLUDES).
>
> TCL_INCLUDES and TK_INCLUDES point to the build directories. But we
> cannot just put ${prefix}/include/tcl or ${prefix}/include/tk in here.
>
> The real problem is that our Tk installation is missing files which
> are
> for example shipped with the build from Apple. In particular where I
> discovered the first build error, Tix looks for tkInt.h which is
> missing.
>
> Apple ships it at:
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/Versions/8.4/Headers/tk-
> private/tkInt.h
>
> After 'port extract tk', it can be found at:
> $(port work tk)/tk8.5.6/generic/tkInt.h
>
> This port needs a similar approach as the tk port itself does. It
> extracts the Tcl source and has additional preprocessor flags to
> search
> there for include files:
>   configure.cppflags  "-I${workpath}/tcl${version}/generic"
>
> Or we need to copy these private header files to the usual include
> location. Maybe it would be good to ask upstream on the Tcl mailing
> list
> for advice on this topic.

There are several ports that want to download and unpack the Tcl
source as part of their build process. It seems wasteful and
unnecessary to me. And it never happens that all of those ports get
updated to the current version of Tcl. Currently, we have amsn, otcl
and tclcl using the source of tcl 8.4.9; expect, itcl and itk using
the source of tcl 8.4.14; and of course tk using the source of tcl
8.5.6.

I would be in favor of the tcl and tk ports installing everything
that's required for other software to use Tcl and Tk.

Markus, can you do this, or ask on the Tcl mailing list if they have
other suggestions?