php5 & "port test php5"

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Mar 26 20:04:28 PDT 2009

On Mar 23, 2009, at 15:00, drf wrote:

>   My setup:   Mac Mini, 10.4.11, Xcode 2.5, GCC 4, MacPorts 1.7
>
> Everything compiles fine, there are some complaints about
> signedness from the compiler, but it all looks ok.  But when I run
> the PHP test suite, over 70 tests fail, including ones I wouldn't
> really expect, like on the function easterdate().  I can not find
> any hints anywhere on what might be happening, so I'm wondering if
> these tests really are that important. Should a completely default,
> standard, stock install of php5 with MacPorts pass all the PHP self
> tests fine?
>
> The thing is, when I set up everything myself (not using MacPorts
> to compile php5) the same set of tests failed - the config of php5
> did reference various macport installed libraries, etc.  I am now
> at the point where I am wondering if I ought to toss all of
> MacPorts and try to install everything myself that is needed to
> compile php5.
>
> So any advice, pointers on where to look, or hints on 64 bit vs 32
> would be greatly appreciated

Hi. I'm the maintainer of php5 in MacPorts.

On the few occasions when I have tried "port test php5", it did not
pass everything either. Please feel free to enter into a dialog about
this with the developers of PHP. I have not had the energy to do so
myself. They're often quite rude in responding to bug reports and I
haven't felt like being abused lately.

I recommend you use MacPorts for all your software installation
needs, including PHP. You could build it all yourself, but it would
be a lot of work figuring out things that we have already figured out
in MacPorts. If the software available in MacPorts doesn't fully meet
your needs, please bring it to our attention so that we can improve
the ports until they do meet your needs.

I have not attempted to compile php5 as a universal binary or 64-bit.
I would not be surprised if it did not work. If you try it and it
works, or if you can figure out how to make it work, please let us know.