Cairo default configuration

Travis Griggs travisgriggs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 21:19:53 PDT 2009

On Mar 27, 2009, at 8:53 PM, Shreevatsa R wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Travis Griggs
> <travisgriggs at gmail.com> wrote:
>> default. Ryan recently changed it back to the old way, so that quartz
>> requires extra configuration to work. I've lobbied him to revert it
>> (I
>
> What is the advantage of this, or what is the disadvantage of having
> quartz work by default?
>
> FWIW, I do use the quartz variant, so I would prefer having it work.

I maintain the VisualWorks Smalltalk binding to Cairo, on multiple
platforms, including OSX. Many in our community, want to play with
Cairo using Smalltalk. So, I've been telling them to just use Macports
to get the libraries on their machine, it's the easiest turnkey way to
get it.

Having to edit variants.conf files, or know that they should always
add +quartz to every cairo related port command, makes that less of a
"turnkey" solution.

I've been scratching my head for a week or so now, while I'm seeing an
increased amount of "hey, why doesn't this work anymore" traffic.

--
Travis Griggs
tgriggs at cincom.com
"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when
he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself." -
Archibald MacLeish, poet and librarian