Error Installing : subversion +bash_completion +mac_os_x_server_mod_dav_svn

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Mar 28 19:11:24 PDT 2009

On Mar 28, 2009, at 19:16, Bill Hernandez wrote:

> I found :
> [MacPorts] #18522: subversion 1.5.5 configure error on OSX 10.5

That ticket isn't really the same issue as yours. In that ticket, /
opt/apache2/bin/apxs did not exist, therefore it failed. In your
case, however, /opt/apache2/bin/apxs does seem to exist, yet some
error is still encountered.

> Comment(by dluke@…):
>
> You are building with +mac_os_x_server_mod_dav_svn
> That variant is unsupported.
>
> I recommend cleaning subversion and building again without
> +mac_os_x_server_mod_dav_svn:
>
> port clean --all subversion
> port -dv install subversion
>

> I tried and got it to build.
>
> If '+mac_os_x_server_mod_dav_svn' variant is unsupported, why does
> it show up when you do a $ port info subversion
>
>> [2009.28.03](01:08PM) -> [roscoe] ~ $ port info subversion
>> subversion @1.6.0, Revision 1 (devel)
>> Variants:    bash_completion, darwin_7, disable_keychain,
>> mac_os_x_server_mod_dav_svn, mod_dav_svn, no_bdb,
>>            no_neon, tools, unicode_path

The variant presumably exists (and therefore shows up in port info
and port variants) because at some point somebody requested it.

It's presumably unsupported because to support it would require
access to Mac OS X Server, which is an expensive piece of software I
would guess most port maintainers do not have.

> Also, if you are installing on an 'OS X Server 10.4', don't you
> need '+mac_os_x_server_mod_dav_svn' for WebDav to work ?

You do need the Apache 2 web server and the mod_dav_svn module to
serve a repository via http/WebDAV. But it does not need to be
Apple's Apache 2 included with Mac OS X Server. It could instead be
the MacPorts apache2 port, which ought to work on Mac OS X Server
just as well as it does on Mac OS X (client). However, you would then
have an apache2 that is separate from and not configurable by the Mac
OS X Server Admin tools.

> I installed MacPorts subversion on the 'OS X Server 10.4', as
> recommended :
>
> From my workstation, I just tried creating a new repository on the
> server at 'https://www.example.com:8443/svn/repository' and keep
> getting
> and get the following error :
>
> Description : Repository moved permanently to 'https://www.deep-
> blue-sky.com:8443/projects/'; please relocate

Ok, what's the relevant section of your httpd.conf say?