Mplayer Variant Help

Eric Cronin ecronin at macports.org
Wed May 13 20:35:18 PDT 2009

On May 13, 2009, at 10:38 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On May 13, 2009, at 12:25, EmmGunn wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at the different variants for mplayer and most of them
>> are self explanatory, but I have a couple of questions.  I noticed
>> this in the port file:
>>
>> 83	# configure is not autoconf
>> 84	universal_variant no
>>
>> which I took to mean that a universal variant is not available,
>
> That's correct. Because mplayer does not use a standard autoconf
> configure script, the standard universal variant does not work with
> it. If someone wanted to invest some time in figuring out how to
> make mplayer compile universal, it could probably be done by writing
> a custom universal variant for that port.
>
>> but then I see a binary_codecs variant which has something about
>> powerpc and i386.  What does this do exactly?  Is this something
>> equivalent to a universal variant?  I was hoping to compile a
>> universal build of mplayer.
>
> Sorry, the port says "universal_variant no", which means someone
> tried to build a universal binary and found that it failed, and
> added this to the portfile to save you the trouble. If you really
> want a universal binary, you will have to write a custom universal
> variant for this port. If you do, please contribute it back to us so
> that we can put it in the portfile.

If someone is interested in tackling the universal build they may want
to contact Mo Haque and see if the scripts he uses to update <http://haque.net/software/mplayer/mplayerosx/builds/
 > are useful in manually setting up the crosscompile environment.

Also, I'm not sure what the state of the new port is, but if mplayer-
devel builds currently I would strongly recommend it over the MPlayer
port since upstream stopped rolling full releases over 2 years ago and
MPlayer hasn't been updated other than to fix build issues since then.

Thanks,
Eric