upgrading gcc44 not working properly?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat May 16 21:18:44 PDT 2009

On May 16, 2009, at 12:29, MD White wrote:

> I installed gcc44 when it was listed as Beta / "experimental" back
> in March.  gcc-mp-4.4 --version :
>    gcc-mp-4.4 (GCC) 4.4.0 20090313 (experimental)
>
> I saw that it is no longer listed in the ports as beta (4.5 now is)
> and so I tried
>    sudo port upgrade gcc44
>
> However, the only thing that got upgraded was apparently
>    gmp, lzmautils, mpfr, libiconv and gperf
>
> gcc/g++ were not upgraded (are there no changes?), nor were java or
> gfortran installed (for some reason when the "betas" are made of
> gcc, these are included only as "variants" even though they are
> considered part of the actual gcc distribution by the gnu
> developers).   Even if gcc does not change, it seems like the
> "upgrade" command should install any of the items that are no
> longer variants in the non-beta installation, so that the port is
> standardized.

gcc44 was updated from version 4.4-20090331 to version 4.4.0 final in
r50108, but the rpm-vercomp procedure in MacPorts thinks 4.4-20090331
is greater than 4.4.0, hence port outdated is not showing you the
port as outdated. The epoch of the port should have been increased in
that revision to inform MacPorts that 4.4.0 should be considered the
newer version. Markus, can you increase the epoch please so users of
the gcc44 beta are advised of the availability of the final version?
Thanks.