How to list which revisions are available for activation?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu May 21 20:15:04 PDT 2009

On May 21, 2009, at 00:41, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:

> At 2009-05-21 04:13:35 GMT, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
>>  > How can I find out which revisions of a particular port are
>> present on my
>>  > system?
>>
>> That would be the 'installed' command, eg,
>>
>> $ port installed hs-libcabal
>>   hs-libcabal @1.6.0.1_0
>>   hs-libcabal @1.6.0.3_1 (active)
>
> That's it!  Thank you!
>
> % port installed dbus
> The following ports are currently installed:
>   dbus @1.2.12_4 (active)
>   dbus @1.2.12_5

Yes, "port installed" answers this question. "port list installed" is
something many people try but almost never produces the result they
expect. (It does "the correct thing" but most people don't know what
"port list" is meant to do. It lists the current version available,
which is not necessarily the same thing as the version that's
installed, which is what most people want to know.)

> Next question: how can I contribute text to this effect into the
> MacPorts Guide, 3.3. "Common Tasks" (at http://guide.macports.org/
> #using.common-tasks)?

You can feel free to check out the guide sources from Subversion

http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/doc-new/guide/

and submit a patch in a ticket in Trac if you have changes.

I'd be surprised if "port installed" were not already described in
the Guide...