netcdf4

David Evans devans at macports.org
Fri May 22 16:16:43 PDT 2009

Christopher Barker wrote:
> Bryan Blackburn wrote:
>> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 05:39:08PM -0700, Christopher Barker said:
>
>>> so it looks like netcdf4 support has been commented out. Anyone know
>>> why?
>>
>> Probably related to ticket #16262:
>>
>> <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/16262>
>
> arrgg! I just spent a couple hours learning about how to write port
> files and hacked the netcdf portfile, then found that 7 hours ago
> someone had already fixed it!
>
> Oh well, at least I learned something. However:
>
>>> I'd also love to get '--enable-dap if possible
>>>
>>> It also looks like the recent release is 4.0.1, it would be nice to
>>> get  that updated.
>
> The current port file does support netcdf4, which was the big one, but
> it's still using version 4.0, rather than 4.0.1, and it isn't using
> --enable-dap
>
> How might those changed get in? I've tested them, and they work for
> me. As there is no maintainer, and the ticket has been closed, I'm not
> sure how to proceed.
>
> --enable-dap required libcurl, which got pulled in from:
>
> /usr/lib/libcurl.3.dylib
>
> Should it use a macport libcurl instead? If so, how do I get it to do
> that?
>
> By the way, I used python's hashlib module to generate the sha1 hash
> -- is there a simple mac-ports way to do that?
>
> I've enclosed my version of the portfile (re-named to netcdf-4 to not
> stomp on netcdf) in case anyone wants a look.
>
> -Chris

Chris --

The standard approach is to submit your changes in the form of a patch
against the current Portfile as an attachment to a new ticket requesting
the update.  A committer should then help you.

To use the MacPorts  libcurl (MacPorts libraries should be used when at
all possible to maintain a known environment) add

port:curl

to the depends_lib statement.

if you run

sudo port -d checksum

on your Portfile,  if the checksums are not correct, port will give you
a debug message with what it has calculated for the hashs
for this file  in terms of a checksum statement.  Of course, you need to
make sure that you really have an official copy of
the distribution file if you are going to assign checksums to it.

Dave