"Reclaiming disk space" documentation/guide missing

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Mon May 25 13:08:27 PDT 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 06:57:25PM +0200, Andreas Kotes said:
[...]
> I totally agree. Debian solves this by offering a 'localepurge' package,
> which basically allows you to give a list of languages you need (i.e.
> which are useful to you ;)), and just has a install-hook which takes
> care of throwing away all other localization files.

Not sure if removing such is going to be that useful for disk space, on my
install with a bit over 600 ports, var/macports/software is 4.3G whereas
share/locale is only 140M, which is only about 3% of total.  Obviously
share/locale isn't the only location for such files but I believe is a
pretty good size of it.

Bryan

[...]