checking for gcc

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat May 30 08:40:51 PDT 2009

On 2009-05-30 17:12, Thomas De Contes wrote:

[...]

> ... i don't understand why you prefer (1) for MacPorts itself
>
> since Ryan Schmidt uses (2) for ports, i don't see what kind of
> avantage you get using (1) for MacPorts itself

It allows to build base with another compiler and it makes it more portable.

> i fully understand Ryan's choice, and finally I agree with him
> what aren't you agreement in what he said with ?

As I explained in my previous mail ...

> and anyway, i find that it's better to have MacPorts homogeneous,
> between itself and its ports, don't you think ?

... I still see no reason to restrict building MacPorts itself to a
specific compiler. Users building MacPorts from source are expected to
know what they are doing.

Having MacPorts installation with a different prefix in PATH during
configure might fail anyway if certain ports are installed (e.g. tcl).
Therefore, use a clean environment with the system's default PATH if you
don't want to use MacPorts for that.

Rainer