Installation/port-upgrade problems

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Nov 9 14:16:52 PST 2009

On Nov 9, 2009, at 09:10, Darren Temple wrote:

> I've been trying to install and start using macports recently, for
> the intention of installing KDE for use of the Kate and Kile
> programs, but keep running into problems. I had OS X 10.5.8
> installed initially, with the most recent release of X11 but not the
> most recent XCode tools, which requires Snow Leopard.

Sure.

> I managed to install macports with this setup, but found a problem
> when I came to use it which issued a message about XCode tools
> needing updating.

Leopard originally shipped with Xcode 3.0, which had some problems.
Xcode 3.1.x was much better, so several ports which have been found to
have specific problems with Xcode 3.0 explicitly require you to
upgrade to Xcode 3.1.x before you can use them on Leopard.

> Seeing as I was expecting to upgrade to Snow Leopard soon, I thought
> I'd do this first before trying macports again. My system is now as
> follows :-
>
> - Snow Leopard (updated to version 10.6.1)
> - XCode tools 3.2.1
> - X11 2.3.4
>
> I have installed Macports using the "easy" disk-image/package
> method, which seemed to be successful. I next ran the command "sudo
> port selfupdate" which seemed to work fine, but then running "port
> upgrade outdated" I get the following :-

[snip]

> Command output: ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libz.dylib, file is
> not of required architecture

Now that you have upgraded to Snow Leopard, you need to uninstall and
reinstall all ports. Please see the Migration page:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration