php.ini read only from /opt/local/var/db/php5

Steve Edwards killshot91 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 16 22:55:11 PST 2009

I'm using and Apache and PHP ports, and my php.ini is not being read
from where it should be.  According to my phpinfo(), it is loading
php.ini from /opt/local/etc/php5, yet any changes I make in that file
make no effect, and the Loaded Configuration File is set to (none).  I
noticed a while ago that my other config files (APC.ini, imagick,ini,
xdebug.ini, memcache.ini) were not read unless they were in
/opt/local/var/db/php5, and that seems to be the case with php.ini.
Once I put a copy in /opt/loca/var/db/php5, any changes I made in that
file are shown in phpinfo, and Loaded Configuration File shows
/opt/local/var/db/php5/php.ini.

So my questions are:
1) Why is the one in /opt/loca/var/db/php5 the only one that works?
2) Why does Configuration File (php.ini) Path show as /opt/local/etc/php
when that is not the file that is loaded?
3) Can my setup be fixed so that the /opt/local/etc/php/php.ini is the
file that is used?

Thanks.

Steve