Search for a file

Panagiotis Atmatzidis atma at convalesco.org
Tue Nov 17 13:57:32 PST 2009

Hello,

On 17 Νοε 2009, at 3:15 μ.μ., Panayotis Katsaloulis wrote:

> I would like to find a specific file in the ports distribution, when I don't already know the name of the package.
> In other words, I want to find in which package(s) a specific file exists.
>
> For example, in order to use docbook2html command, I  don't know which package to install.
>
> In the old days of debian, I used to have apt-file for this job. Is there any similar application for macports?
> What should I do in this case?

As far as I know there's no such commands. At this point you can use standard bash tools, like awk or grep.

Try something like grep -lir "docbook*" /opt/local/var/macports/

regards

Panagiotis (atmosx) Atmatzidis

email:	atma at convalesco.org
URL:	http://www.convalesco.org
GnuPG key id: 0xFC4E8BB4
--
The wise man said: "Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."