Why doesn't macports install prebuild packages?

Frank J. R. Hanstick trog24 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 26 05:54:55 PST 2009

Hello,
	One reason I chose MacPorts over Fink was that there were more ports
available.  That may or may not be true now because I have not used
Fink in a while.  Unless Fink had changed, there were still a lot of
ports that came with assembly required.  Not all ports came as
packages.  I am not familiar with how many different cpu's Linux is
built for, so I cannot comment on that.  My current platform is a dual
MPC-7448 (G4 model) which is still not a well supported cpu under
Linux.  I will probably continue using a G4 system for a while because
I prefer the cpu (I do not need the extended precision of a G5).
	I prefer MacPorts over doing it myself because someone greatly
appreciated ensured that all the dependencies were taken care of
beforehand.  I spent many hours having to figure out what dependencies
were required for what ports and what version of a particular
dependency was required.  MacPorts is a great time saver there.
	A feature in Fink that I liked was the notification of what
dependencies were being loaded before hand which gave an indication of
how long the installation would be.  I do not like the fact that
MacPorts does nothing to indicate that it is working an installation.
I would prefer to have little dots or the title of the current module
appear in the terminal window to alleviate the boredom and give a
notation of progress (I do not like the repeated compilation lines
from a non-MacPorts installation because it eats up my history space).
	Nothing is ever perfect and each has good and bad features.

Frank J. R. Hanstick
trog24 at comcast.net