Apache + php + gd not working at all - PARTIAL SUCCESS

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Oct 1 11:29:52 PDT 2009

Your using short tags. Depending on your php.ini settings those may
not be on by default any longer.

They should be off by default.

If you need them, turn then on per vhost or per .htaccess with php
admin value. I have not seen a short tag ( <? ... ?> versus <?php ... ?
 > ) in years.

  "For portable, redistributable code, be sure not to use short tags.”

Php5 has a few other areas to keep an eye on. The location in the date
section of your php.ini should be set, no longer trusting the system
for time zones. It will mark a verbose note in phpinfo on where to look.

In order to get GD to work you probably have to enable it. That was
probably mentioned in a message when you installed it. If you
installed with -d (debug) you may have missed it. You can always issue
"port edit php5-whatever" to look at the port instruction file. Look
for the ui messages which are what print notes to stdout when you
install.

A patch to php5 was just released. I feel an important one as it leads
to config data exposure and segfaulting if not handled. I'm not sure
if this patch is in the wild yet, but do look to apply this patch via
a php5 rebuild as soon as possible.
--
Scott
Iphone says hello.