How to fix the problem of "Cannot open display"?

Brandon Allbery allbery at kf8nh.com
Sun Oct 4 13:14:29 PDT 2009

On Oct 4, 2009, at 16:08 , Peng Yu wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery at kf8nh.com>
> wrote:
>> On Oct 4, 2009, at 13:53 , Peng Yu wrote:
>>> $ gnome-terminal
>>> $Failed to parse arguments: Cannot open display:
>>

>> Unless you built Gtk+ with native Aqua support (which I think won't
>> yet work
>> with GNOME stuff), you need to install and run Apple's X11.
>
> My OS is leopard. Would you please point me where I should download
> it? And how to install it? Thank you!

Official X11 for Leopard is on your install DVD (run System Update
afterward).
Unofficial, but with updates and bugfixes:  http://xquartz.macosforge.net

X11 should have been installed by default on Leopard, actually, but
without the XQuartz update it won't auto-run; you'll find X11.app in /
Applications/Utilities.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu