How to fix the problem of "Cannot open display"?

Brandon Allbery allbery at kf8nh.com
Sun Oct 4 14:32:04 PDT 2009

On Oct 4, 2009, at 16:54 , Peng Yu wrote:
> I started X11.app in /Applications/Utilities. But I still got the same
> error as that in my original post. What's the problem?

You'll need to run gnome-terminal from the initial xterm, or from
X11's Application menu, or after starting X11 do "export DISPLAY=:0"
in a Terminal.app, or install the update do launchd will do forwarding
automatically.

> How to run XQuartz update? Do I need to download X11-2.4.0.dmg and
> install it? What is the difference between X11-2.4.0.dmg and X11.app
> in /Applications/Utilities?

Yes, download and install X11-2.4.0.dmg.  (Note that this won't
install on Snow Leopard.)

The big user-visible change is that X11 2.4.0 hooks into launchd, so
launchd presets $DISPLAY for you and X11.app will launch automatically
if needed.  Otherwise it's mostly bugfixes.

If you're going to make significant use of Apple's X11, I suggest
subscribing to x11-users at lists.apple.com.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu