How to clean a failed package to build?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 7 22:29:48 PDT 2009

On Oct 8, 2009, at 00:19, Kyunghoon Lee wrote:

> $ sudo port install pango
> --->  Computing dependencies for pango
> --->  Fetching pango
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for pango
> --->  Extracting pango
> Error: To install pango without the quartz variant, cairo must be
> installed without the quartz variant.
> Error: Target org.macports.extract returned: incompatible cairo
> installation
>
> So I guess I need to uninstall & install cario again w/o quartz,
> then try to install pango w/o quartz, right?

Yes. If you install one port with the quartz variant, really you
should install all ports with it, and vice versa. pango has specific
checks for this, but even for those that don't, this holds true.

> BTW, this might be a silly question, but what is quartz?

It's this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz_(graphics_layer)

In MacPorts, the quartz variant is often the way you indicate you want
native Mac OS X drawing routines to be used instead of the default X11
drawing routines. However, these are less-well tested and so might not
work.