apr-util not building because it can't find db

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Sun Oct 11 17:10:05 PDT 2009

On Oct 11, 2009, at 11:07 AM, David Cake wrote:
> At 5:00 PM -0400 9/10/09, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>> On Oct 9, 2009, at 11:49 AM, David Cake wrote:
>>> 	Everytime I issue port upgrade outdated, it tries to build apr-
>>> util, and fails with
>>> configure: error: Berkeley DB not found.
>>> 	db46 is installed, but the apr-util build just doesn't seem to
>>> believe it is there.
>>> 	Any advice?
>>
>> are you sure your db46 port is happy/healthy?
>
> 	No reason to think it isn't. port install db46 reported that it
> succeeded.

except for the fact that apr-util can't seem to find it ;-)

>> You could try uninstalling/cleaning/reinstalling it, then cleaning
>> apr-util and see if it works then?

did you try this?

>> Otherwise posting the port -dv upgrade apr-util output (or opening
>> a bug with it attached) would be the next step in helping to
>> troubleshoot it.
>
> checking for Berkeley DB 4.6 in /opt/local/include and /opt/local/
> lib/db46...
> checking db46/db.h usability... yes
> checking db46/db.h presence... yes
> checking for db46/db.h... yes
> checking for -ldb-4.6... no

so, here's the problem, do you have  /opt/local/lib/db46/
libdb-4.6.dylib ?

If you do have that file, is it the right architecture? (try `file /
opt/local/lib/db46/libdb-4.6.dylib`)

apr-util's configure script is finding the db46 header file, but not
the library.

--
Daniel J. Luke