Snow Leopard ate my ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 13 16:53:53 PDT 2009

On Oct 13, 2009, at 14:26, Alexy Khrabrov wrote:

> OK, for the Snow Leopard on top of Leopard case, I went back and did
> the following:
>
> -- put back my old /opt/local
> -- ran the new 1.8.1 installer, which dropped the new port command and
> friends on top if it
>
> Now port installed shows stuff, and they seemed to work as before.  In
> fact they did work, at least those I used, under SL, it's just the
> port command itself was broken by the upgrade, and now fixed by
> install-over.  My question is, do I really need to reinstall all
> ports, or this SL on top of L is OK?

It is not ok. You really do need to uninstall all ports and reinstall
them, exactly as stated in the Migration page.

> Last time, I migrated from
> 32-bit Leopard to 64-bit one (moving to a new MBP), and then I felt I
> had to do it, although 32-bit stuff still worked -- but there was a
> presumable advantage of getting thing recompiled under 64-bit gcc and
> stuff.  But are there any caveats why one should recompile a 64-bit
> Leopard-fathered ports setup after SL upgrade?

Whenever you make a major OS or architecture change (PowerPC to Intel,
32-bit to 64-bit, one OS version to another) you must uninstall all
ports and reinstall them. MacPorts will not detect these changes, and
will assume all ports currently installed were installed with the
current arch and OS version, which is obviously not correct if you go
and change them. So please uninstall and reinstall all ports now.