selfupdate via http?

Ben Abbott bpabbott at mac.com
Tue Oct 13 17:11:38 PDT 2009

On Oct 13, 2009, at 7:47 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2009, at 18:34, Ben Abbott wrote:
>
>> I was under the impression that I could selfupdate via http by
>> changing my sources.conf as seen below.
>
>>> #  To get the ports tree from the master MacPorts server in
>>> California, USA use:
>>> #      rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
>>> #  To get it from the mirror in Trondheim, Norway use:
>>> #      rsync://trd.no.rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
>>> #  A current list of mirrors is available at http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Mirrors
>>>
>>> # rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ [default]
>>> http://www.macports.org/files/ports.tar.gz [default]
>
> No, this only affects ports. Hence the word "ports" in the URL.
>
>> While the change to http (from rsync) allows me to update the port
>> descriptions, updating the base fails.
>
>>> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at /SourceCache/rsync/
>>> rsync-35.2/rsync/clientserver.c(105) [receiver=2.6.9]
>>
>> As my corporate firewall has the ports for both rsync an cvs
>> closed, is there a way for me to keep my macports up to date?
>
> You can download the MacPorts 1.8.1 source via http from the
> downloads area and compile it yourself. Or you can download the
> 1.8.1 disk image and install that; it will not adversely affect your
> installed ports or settings.

Ryan, assuming I decide to download new version, where should the
sources be placed and how to I initiate the compilation ... if it is
more complicated than placing the tar-ball in the appropriate location
and issuing "sudo port selfupdate" or a similar simple command, just
say the word and I'll go with the diskimage.

Thanks
Ben