Perl Installation Issues

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Oct 14 08:47:38 PDT 2009

On Oct 14, 2009, at 10:30, Blake Farman wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Oct 14, 2009, at 09:23, Blake Farman wrote:
>>
>>>  I've had some trouble lately getting Perl to install properly
>>> with macports (I need macports to install it since it's a dep for
>>> several packages I wish to install).  I've included the output
>>> from port around where the install hangs below.  I'm not sure why,
>>> but it seems that the perl installer isn't looking anywhere for my
>>> c lib.  I know I have one, and I even recently upgraded the perl
>>> install in my base system without any troubles,
>>
>> How do you mean, upgraded the perl install in your base system?
>
> I built perl from source, uninstalled the old version (in /usr) and
> installed the new version where the old one was.

That's what I thought you meant. It's probably not a good idea to mess
with software in /usr because that was all provided by Apple. Not only
is it probably integral to the proper functioning of your operating
system, Apple believes it is in control of updating those components
and might wipe out your changes in a future OS update. Better install
your own versions of software elsewhere.

>>> but port can't seem to manage to figure things out.  I'm a recent
>>> mac convert (coming from Gentoo) and I'm not terribly familiar
>>> with macports, so I'm a little lost on how to fix this one
>>> myself.  If anyone could give me some idea of how to fix this, I'd
>>> be eternally grateful.
>>>
>>> --->  Computing dependencies for perl5..
>>> --->  Configuring perl5.8
>>> Operating system name? [sysv]
>>> Operating system version? [9.8.0]
>>> Installation prefix to use? (~name ok) [/opt/local]
>>> Any additional ld flags (NOT including libraries)?
>>> [-L/opt/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib]
>>> Checking for GNU C Library...
>>> Shall I use /usr/bin/nm to extract C symbols from the libraries? [y]
>>> I can't seem to find your C library.  I've looked in the following
>>> places:
>>
>> I see you're running Mac OS X 10.5.8. What version of Xcode is
>> installed? The latest version for Leopard is 3.1.4.
>
> I'm using 3.1.13

I assume you mean either 3.1.1 or 3.1.3. :) Either of those is
probably fine.

I don't know why perl wouldn't be able to find your C library. What
"following places" did it say it looked for the C library in?

I see one other report of this problem, which was closed as
"worksforme" after the reporter provided no additional details:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19244

Are you able to install other ports? Try something simple like expat
or zlib.