Why should I use macports?

vincent habchi vince at macports.org
Thu Oct 15 08:38:17 PDT 2009

Le 15 oct. 2009 à 17:28, Mikel King a écrit :

> Because there are thousands of readily available applications only a
> 'port install' away. Say you want to install lighttpd + PHP + MySql
> to host

I could add that the advantage of compiling instead of just
downloading and adding binaries is that you can tweak your compilation
to suit exactly the kind of processor you have (or other needs),
resulting in a much more optimized code (in order to run in all
platforms, binary code is inherently compiled for old CPU models). The
drawback, of course, is increased installation time.

Vincent