Why should I use macports?

Ben Greenfield ben at cogs.com
Thu Oct 15 08:38:30 PDT 2009

There is a lot of unix software out-there that is distributed in
source form. If everyone who wanted to use the software had to have
knowledge of all the intricacies involved in getting basic
software,compiled, installed, and running we would lose a lot of
efficiencies as users.

Each operating system community has a volunteer based community for
trying to insulate the users from all the complexity while still
providing access to as much software as possible.

Macports is one of OS X projects, Fink is another.

If one wants to install apache they can get the source download
compile with the options they want and install it and go, or one can
install apache using macports (after they installed macports). The
advantage to macports is that people who care about apache working on
os x are maintaing the platform specific needs using the macports
system. There for it should be easy to install software using macports
as opposed to going it alone.

The burden of install macports is dwarfed by the efficiency of not
having to maintain the software you are trying to install.

Good Luck,

Ben