Why should I use macports?

Randolph Fritz rfritz333 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 21:34:42 PDT 2009

On 2009-10-15, Wendy Bossons <wbossons at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Can someone explain the purpose of Macports and why I might need it?

Broadly, because it's an easy-to-use library of useful free software.
It provides, especially, dependency tracking, which means that when
you install a package you want, you get the packages that that that
package depends on automatically, without fuss.

The value of the tool depends, of course, on what you are doing, but
Macports has helped me greatly in my software development work.

--
Randolph Fritz
  design machine group, architecture department, university of washington
rfritz at u.washington.edu -or- rfritz333 at gmail.com