include problem building BDB 4.6.21 w/ /usr/local

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Oct 17 02:19:24 PDT 2009

On 2009-10-17 11:57, Bayard Bell wrote:
> I've been looking through tickets, trying to figure out what's going
> wrong. There's an open ticket for this, 19918. As far as I can see, the
> immediate problem occurs when you've got db.h in /usr/local/include.
> Renaming the file certainly fixes the problem. (Three cheers to dtruss
> for giving me a handle on this.)
>
> What doesn't really make sense to me is why or how this is found in the
> first instance: I'd argue strongly that the pre-processor shouldn't be
> looking there by default, and it's not much evident to me that CPPFLAGS
> is being constructed to tell it to do so. Before digging around further,
> I thought I'd ask if anyone knew why this might be.

We're not telling it to look there, it just does. The only way to avoid
this would be to use -nostdinc, but then you have to somehow reconstruct
the other default search paths and tell it to look in them.

So basically, there's not much we can do about it, and the place to
report the issue is <http://bugreport.apple.com/> and/or
<http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/>. (Note that upstream changes to GCC at
this point will likely never be distributed by Apple, since they are
moving to LLVM.)

- Josh