Trouble upgrading MacPorts in Snow Leopard

Karen Lloyd klloyd at email.unc.edu
Mon Oct 19 05:03:08 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I just upgraded from Leopard (where MacPorts was working fine) to Snow
Leopard.  I tried to follow the instructions on
http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration.  But, after typing in the lines on
that page (I am not anywhere close to being a developer, I just need to use
MacPorts to download some scientific software), I couldn¹t see that my
myports.txt file had anything in it; it was blank.  So, I just downloaded
the .dmg for the new MacPorts version for Snow Leopard (I already upgraded
my Xcode to 3.2.1) and it acted as if it installed correctly.

Now when I try to install the scientific program (called ³arb²), I get the
following error:

--->  Extracting libpng
Error: You cannot install libpng for the architecture(s) x86_64
Error: because /opt/local/lib/libz.dylib only contains the architecture(s)
i386.
Error: Did you upgrade to a new version of Mac OS X? If so, please see
Error: http://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
Error: Target org.macports.extract returned: incompatible architectures in
dependencies
Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1
Error: Unable to execute port: upgrade openmotif failed

I have no idea what any of this means. I get the same message when I type
When I did this on Leopard it worked fine.  Is there any way I can just
erase everything and start all over again as if I were starting out in Snow
Leopard (not upgrading)?

I also tried the following:

biomunk162:~ Karen$ sudo port install macports
--->  Computing dependencies for MacPorts
--->  Fetching MacPorts
--->  Attempting to fetch MacPorts-1.8.1.tar.bz2 from
http://distfiles.macports.org/MacPorts
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for MacPorts
--->  Extracting MacPorts
--->  Configuring MacPorts
--->  Building MacPorts
--->  Staging MacPorts into destroot
Note: MacPorts installs files outside the common directory structure.
--->  Installing MacPorts @1.8.1_0+darwin_10
--->  Activating MacPorts @1.8.1_0+darwin_10
Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error:
/Library/Tcl/macports1.0/MacPorts.dylib already exists and does not belong
to a registered port.  Unable to activate port MacPorts.

Thank you,
Karen

--
Karen G. Lloyd, Ph.D.